So after a storm of Etsy orders for me, many hours and several meetings about backyard chickens, a wedding my husband best manned for, one hurricane Sandy, and my old 95 civic finally giving up the ghost causing my husband to drive 4hr and an overnight stay to replace it–all in the last two weeks (oh, and the kids and me got colds somewhere in there)… I am finally getting around to my KCWC projects. I cut last night and sewed my little heart out today. I learned a bit more about making patterns and tried out a tut I’ve had on the to do list for forever and a day.
Here is the third and fourth pieces I made today. I’ll post up about the first two “another day” (as Redding would say.)
I was inspired last year, well, that’s not true exactly. I saw Rachel @ StitchedinColor make pajamas from Oliver + S bedtime story pajama pattern last Christmas. I thought they were every bit as awesome as everything else that woman creates, but the kimono look of the pattern didn’t speak to me until now.
Have I ever told you I’m cheap? Yes. I am. And this little voice in my head says “Huh, I shouldn’t buy that. I could make that myself.” It speaks often and tells me lies, because replicas usually aren’t as cool as the originals. But anyways. This was experience today, but the results still made me and Redding happy. And I know how to fix my pattern and not make the same obvious mistakes that came as a result of multi-tasking dividing my attention. Observe…
The style of the shirt is an almost square back with a slight, and I mean slight, curve at the neck in and straight sleeves. Right angle sleeves I’ve heard them called. No curves in the armholes, just straight. I liked Rachel’s look for her son using buttons, because Redding is currently learning how to do buttons and loves them on everything. I’m seriously going to make him a pillow with buttons and flaps all over it so he can sit contentedly and button away. But more of that later.
So buttons. Both are sewn to the inside panel with the buttonholes on the outer so he can see them and button them easily. He did it all by himself. My machine has an automatic buttonhole foot that I pulled out and bothered to learn how to use. And I don’t want to ever go back to doing it myself again. The foot is a dream.
I also use the zig zag stitch on my machine with my presser feet lowered to sew the buttons on. Takes 2 seconds. Love it.
And That’s the only things I did correctly for this pattern. Oh, I also like how the double stitching around all the edges and hems turned out. And topstitching the shoulders and arms to lie flat works great with this style of sleeve.
Now the list of what I’d do different:
- Take an inch off each side pattern piece to narrow the shirt from top to bottom. The shoulder are hanging off the kid.
- Not forget to use Bias tape for the bias and neck edges. I got hem happy with my iron and double stitching. Forgot the bias tape.
- Make the inner edge of the shoulders wider so the shirt would hug his neck more. Had I not lost at least an inch with my hemming, this might not be a big deal, but still. I made it work by taking 3″ triangles of grey fleece and zigzag stitching them on where I needed more fabric. It actually looks like a fun detail I meant to do all along. But you know different 🙂 Wyatt sat in my lap while I sewed them on and he helped me push the fabric through. He was very sweet and wanted to help and was surprisingly compliant when I helped him do things. He really liked my up and down needle button.
- Not cut two right front panels. Apparently, in my groggy state, I was so entranced by my 49th viewing of Pride and Prejudice that I cut two right panels. I have no excuses. I even noted it on the pattern. But alas, I went to sew what should have been the left panel on and the wrong side of the fabric was facing out. Luckily I had one 5″ wide strip leftover that covers the exposed part of that panel so it looks like I did it right. But, I didn’t. You can see it very plainly when the full left panel is exposed and only half of it is double layered and the wrong side is showing on the other half.
I am really looking forward to trying this pattern again. With a few modifications (and more attention to one task at a time) it will be awesome.
To go with the top, I dug Redding’s best fitting pair of pants out of the dirty clothes and made a pant pattern. Took my a while to draft it, and I compared it to another Mcall’s pattern I had, but didn’t care for the sizing of, to get the crotch and butt curves right. So here it is.