Here are the promised grand finale photos of my Whirly Gig Quilt. This was my first quilt made with blocks instead of a piece as you go style, or in rows.
And I really like it.
The back is an old sheet that I cut into and put to good use. I quilted along the angle of the spokes of the whirly gig, but as you can see in the next picture, the angles aren’t all going in the same way because I didn’t follow the directions closely enough. But I’m not a perfectionist, so it doesn’t overly bother me.
I used what I think is a high loft polyester batting so I wasn’t able to lay another layer of perpendicular quilting on without the fabrics bunching up. Oh well. I wanted to use it up so can now justify buying more batting and clean out the limited space available in my sewing room.
Here is a closeup of the fabrics I used. This photo does them justice. They looked so dainty and vintage style to me. I’ve always wanted to have a rose themed cottage style room, so while that won’t be happening anytime soon, I couldn’t resist these fabrics in the store.
The blocks all lined up exactly perfectly and that makes me quite giddy.
So, If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. I’m gonna paint it black and sand it a bit till I get the look I want.