Messenger Bag

I made the adult sz Messenger Bag for this months LTTSA project. This is the last month for our group and I’ve had so much fun making things from the LTTS book and seeing the awesome creativity of the ladies in the group. I’m planning on giving this bag to my littlest sister as her last late Christmas present. What can I say. I’m a procrastinator. Trying to recover though 🙂

I learned from this project the importance of basting. When in doubt, baste. And then baste again. I think every curve and seam on this bag have at least 2 or 3 rows of stitches on them. But It made things come out very nicely and without any guesswork. I had a tiny bit of trouble understanding exactly what I was supposed to do when making the pleated front pocket, but once I started on it, I saw what was supposed to happen and only had to take out two seams on that part. That was the only challenging part of the project. The rest when surprisingly smoothly and nicely. I really like how it turned out and will probably make more of these in the future. Maybe a patchwork one.

The bag is a dark brown corduroy with chocolate, green, pink, off white striped bias binding and a fun flowery summery med weight home dec fabric for the lining. The pictures really don’t do the vibrant colors justice. I used some bronze 2″ish metal rings to attach the shoulder strap to. I actually saved these from an old purse that was falling apart. It pays to upcycle. The strap is long enough to sit at my hip when slung over my shoulder and worn cross-shoulder style. It’s pretty much awesome if I do say so myself. Hehe. Bought time I had a project work out right for me. Last week was one catastrophic failure after another. It was no fun. So I took a break from crafting and read a book or two, and then started up again. AND with a clean workroom nonetheless. Pics will be up this week! I can’t wait to show you.

And Finally, A big thanks to Jessica our fearless leader for hosting this Little Things To Sew party over on her blog. It’s been so much fun and I wish her the best of luck and creativeness as she competes in this season of Project Run & Play. It’s been tons of fun 🙂

95 and Partly Cloudy

That’s right folks. It is now 95F and Partly Cloudy outside and 79F inside with the A/C having run all day non stop. It is APRIL! That means it’s gonna be a Hot hot summer. My tender little gardens don’t stand a chance.

On the left are my little Heirloom Tomato Seedlings and on the right is mixed lettuces and herbs. I’ve been watering every other day and I’m now switching to everyday. We’ll see how hardy these heirlooms really are.

Now this garden Alan made for me. Teehee 🙂 It has a Palm of some sort and two Jatrophas. Both are heat loving arid types, so, this garden just might stand a chance.

It was Redding’s idea to come play outside today. What he actually asked me was “Go outside and play in the mud?” Boys like mud. He insisted on wearing his smock today–not sure why.
Wyatt started splashing in the puddles on the patio while I was watering the flowers, so I just gave him the hose and he had at it.

I’m sitting cool in my tee and blue lightweight cotton gingham circle skirt I made two summers ago. Perfect for hot summer days.

Happy Spring!
 

Whirly Gig Quilt Finish

Here are the promised grand finale photos of my Whirly Gig Quilt. This was my first quilt made with blocks instead of a piece as you go style, or in rows.

And I really like it.

The back is an old sheet that I cut into and put to good use. I quilted along the angle of the spokes of the whirly gig, but as you can see in the next picture, the angles aren’t all going in the same way because I didn’t follow the directions closely enough. But I’m not a perfectionist, so it doesn’t overly bother me. 

I used what I think is a high loft polyester batting so I wasn’t able to lay another layer of perpendicular quilting on without the fabrics bunching up. Oh well. I wanted to use it up so can now justify buying more batting and clean out the limited space available in my sewing room.

Here is a closeup of the fabrics I used. This photo does them justice. They looked so dainty and vintage style to me. I’ve always wanted to have a rose themed cottage style room, so while that won’t be happening anytime soon, I couldn’t resist these fabrics in the store.
The blocks all lined up exactly perfectly and that makes me quite giddy.

 And in other news…
Here is how the stain came out on my mirror. It was supposed to by ebony. Unfortunately, it just didn’t take evenly. Alan suspects the previous varnish soaked in more than we thought, so we should have sanded the wood more deeply. In some spots it took quite well, but overall it has a tiger striped look to it. That would look good in the right room, but it’s just not the look I was going for.

 So, If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. I’m gonna paint it black and sand it a bit till I get the look I want.